February 28, 2006
- I showed a scene from the Colbert Report (http://www.comedycentral.com/shows/the_colbert_report/index.jhtml). Under videos (http://www.comedycentral.com/shows/the_colbert_report/videos/most_recent/index.jhtml), look for 'Nerd Patrol.' A quadratic equation is a polynomial like x2 + 3x + 2 = 0. I showed you that it was possible to write down the solution to any equation of the form ax2 + bx + c = 0. Ready Steven?
- Abshir did a report on Poker and how to calculate how good your hand is. We did a detailed example in class.
Say that your hand was A and A and the following 5 cards were showing: J 9 5 2 5
To determine if your hand is good you should try to count the number of hands which are better than yours. You have an A-5 two of a kind. Which hands are better? Lets list them.
- 4-kind - two 5s
- Full house - two Js, 2s or 9s, also a 5-J, 5-2, or 5-9
- Flush - Any two spades
- 3-kind - by getting a 5 and some other card (not a J,9 or 2 and not two spades)
|Full house||JJ, 22 or 99 of , or or 5(of or ) and any J,2,9||27|
|Flush||any two spades (there are 13-4=9 left in the deck)|
|3-of-a-kind||5 and 3,4,6,7,8,10,Q,K (any suit) A of OR 5 and 3,4,6,7,8,10,Q,K (or), A of||60|
- And if that wasn't enough math for you when it comes to poker, I played for you the radio program on 'Game Theory' by Simon Singe (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/science/another5.shtml) from the BBC.
- Due in two weeks, the following two homework problems. We will talk about them next week:
- cube painting
- milk cartons
Previous class : February 21, 2006
Next class : March 7, 2006
Main class page : Mathematics 1590 Nature of Mathematics II