March 14, 2006
- Lee presented calculations about fat, dieting, weight, calories and exercise. I wish I could do a summary of this material justice but I will try.
- It was π Day (March 14 is 3/14) (http://www.exploratorium.edu/pi/index.html) and we talked about π and why one would want to celebrate. I was asked to speak on CTV Newsnet about π Day. My answer was this : it is an excuse for people who have a common interest in math to get together and eat pie. In some ways it is a celebration of geeky-ness.
- We listened to the radio program about π (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/science/5numbers2.shtml)
- From that radio program we learned some of the history of the computation of π.
- The Babylonians 5000-500BC knew that it was around 3 or 3.125
- Archimedes inscribed polygons in a circle and calculated it to 4 decimal places
- I assigned two homework problems, Polygonal Numbers and Thirty-one for homework due in two weeks.
- I showed you the game of Set (http://www.setgame.com/set/index.html) and I tried to show that it was related to mathematics. We played a few rounds and then I mentioned that there is a connection with "sets" and lines in a 4-dimensional space.
Previous class : March 7, 2006
Next class : March 21, 2006
Main class page : Mathematics 1590 Nature of Mathematics II