SCS: Seminars 2006-07
|Table of contents|
Meeting 1: September 22
- We plan to read the first four chapters of
- Fox, J. (2006) Applied Regression Analysis, Generalized Linear Models, and Related Methods, Second Edition, (ms.), To be published with Sage.
- The web site for first edition of the book is at http://socserv.mcmaster.ca/jfox/Books/Applied-Regression/index.html.
- For those interested in installing R, have a look at R: Getting started (which you are invited to improve). To install the 'car' library that complements the text, have a look at R:_Getting_started#Using_and_installing_libraries.
- The first 13 chapters will be distributed at the staff meeting on September 29.
- If you have comments please use Fox 2006: Applied Regression Analysis and Related Methods: Comments
- For errors, please use Fox 2006: Applied Regression Analysis and Related Methods: Errata
Meeting 2: October 6
- Discussion of first 4 chapters of Fox.
Meeting 3: October 20
- Fox: Chapters 5, 6, 7, 8.
Meeting 4: November 3
- Friendly: Data ellipses, HE plots and reduced-rank displays for Multivariate Linear Models. This goes beyond the readings to pose questions about visualizations for linear models with multiple responses.
- Handout for the seminar: http://euclid.psych.yorku.ca/SCS/Papers/hfoils_4.pdf
- An updated copy of the paper I distributed is at http://euclid.psych.yorku.ca/SCS/Papers/Private/hesoft.pdf
- SAS macros, data, and examples are contained in http://euclid.psych.yorku.ca/SCS/Papers/Private/hesoft-sas.zip
- A very rudimentary set of R functions for HE plots are at http://euclid.psych.yorku.ca/ftp/R/heplot.R
Meeting 5: November 17
- Fox: Chapters 9, 10, 11, 12
Meeting 6: December 1
Fox: Chapters 12 and 13. The web site for the first edition of the text  (http://socserv.socsci.mcmaster.ca/jfox/Books/Applied-Regression/index.html) contains many of the data sets used in the second edition, as does the car package for R  (http://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/Descriptions/car.html).
- Michael's example for discussing collinearity diagnostics:
Meeting 7: January 12
- Read Fox Chapters 14 and 15
The on-line appendices for the book (http://socserv.socsci.mcmaster.ca/jfox/Books/Applied-Regression-2E/Appendices.pdf) are now available, as is an under-constructions web site for the book (http://socserv.socsci.mcmaster.ca/jfox/Books/Applied-Regression-2E/index.html).
Meeting 8: January 26
read Chapter 22 on model selection, etc.
Meeting 9: February 9
- Read Ch. 20 on Missing Data in Regression Models
- Here is a problem: how to determine if a collection of variables exhibits a monotone missing data pattern?
- Visualizing patterns of missing data: p. 586-587 presents an informative example of MCAR, MAR and MNAR data. But where are the missing observations in Fig 20.1? See foxmiss.jpg for some images using my miplot macro (http://www.math.yorku.ca/SCS/sasmac/miplot.html).
- This is an R script that generates a data set and shows the consequences of dropping 'missing data' that is MAR with respect to different variables.
- Here is a version of Fig. 20.1 that survives duplication (marking the missing observations with gray triangles): fig20_1.jpg
Meeting 10: February 23
Bootstrapping: Chapter 21
- See this tutorial: Statistical Bootstrap and Other Resampling Methods (http://www.burns-stat.com/pages/Tutor/bootstrap_resampling.html)
- Another tutorial (elementary level): Bootstrap Methods and Permutation tests (http://bcs.whfreeman.com/ips5e/content/cat_080/pdf/moore14.pdf)
- Short course using S Plus (http://www.insightful.com/Hesterberg/bootstrap/default.asp)
Meeting 11: March 9
- Time Series: Chapter 16
Meeting 12: March 23
- Nonlinear regression: Chapter 17
- Robust regression: Chapter 19
Meeting 13: April 13
(Note the change of date to avoid a conflict with Good Friday)
- Nonparametric regression: Chapter 18